When it comes to cuisine, America lives up to the adage "bigger is better."
In honor of July 4, we chose the 29 most American foods.
Some are fast food concoctions that combine a variety of USA favorites, while others are variations on ethnic dishes that Americans have made their own.
Chances are, you love one of these delicious treats.29. America's version of "Chinese" food looks nothing like what you'd find in China.
28. Gumbo is a Southern dish with variations all over the United States.
27. Cheese curds are a favorite in the American Midwest.
26. Southern-style fried chicken sandwiches topped with pickles are widely available. Chick-Fil-A sells America's favorite chicken sandwich.
25. America does "healthy" with wedge salads...a wedge of lettuce covered in creamy dressing and bacon.
24. Tex-Mex tacos are totally American. The Doritos Locos Taco, one of the best-selling fast food innovations of all time, is an American favorite.
23. Cincinnati's chili served over spaghetti is a world-famous cuisine.
22. Biscuits are a classic at both breakfast and dinner. Red Lobster's Cheddar Bay biscuits are wildly popular.
21. S'mores can be found at any American campground.
20. Corn dogs are a food only Americans could have invented and are often found at fairs.
19. Chicken and Waffles is a dish that has exploded in popularity in recent years.
18. Cupcakes are an American obsession.
17. Lobster Rolls are a summer favorite.
16. Chili cheese hot dogs are an American staple.
15. Meatloaf has been a classic American dinner entree for years.
14. The Reuben sandwich is considered to be the ultimate deli item.
13. Pizza might be an Italian food, but Chicago's deep dish pizza is all American.
12. The Philly Cheesesteak can be found all over the U.S.
11. Banana splits are one of America's favorite desserts.
10. Grilled cheese sandwiches are enjoyed in countless varieties.
9. Ribs are an American barbecue food classic.
8. French fries are found at fast food chains and fancy restaurants.
7. The BLT is one of the classic American sandwiches.
6. Corn on the cob is one of the most delicious side dishes—especially in the summer.
5. Buffalo chicken wings are a popular bar food and appetizer.
4. Macaroni and cheese can be enjoyed as an entree or side dish.
3. Burgers are one of the most iconic foods. Many choose to enjoy their burger with bacon and cheese.
2. Apple pie is the quintessential American dessert.
1. A nice steak is the ultimate indulgence in American cuisine.
You've seen the best American foods...
Now learn about the top American trendsetters >
See Also:The 23 Trendsetters Who Decide What's Cool In AmericaThe 4 Types Of Workers Behind Chipotle's Rapid Burrito-Making MachineA Science Teacher Lost 60 Pounds Eating Nothing But McDonald's