LAS VEGAS – In the wake of the coronavirus pandemic, Wynn Resorts is using thermal cameras to monitor the temperatures of guests.
“We will be screening for temperature using non-invasive thermal cameras at all our entrances,” Wynn CEO Matt Maddox said in a statement about new company policies in response to the intensifying spread of COVID- 19.
The USA TODAY Network asked the company how it will use temperature readings:
"Any person registering a temperature of 100.4F or higher will be discreetly informed by a trained member of the security team and not be permitted to remain inside the resort," a company statement said.
In addition to using thermal cameras, Wynn Resorts will temporarily cancel all large entertainment gatherings – a list that includes buffets, nightclubs and theaters in Las Vegas and Boston.
“We will monitor the situation to determine any additional action that may be required,” Maddox said.
Wynn casinos and restaurants will “create appropriate distancing” between guests at gaming machines and tables, Maddox said.
As of Thursday morning, health officials confirmed 11 COVID-19 cases in Nevada. The changes at Wynn in response to the pandemic follow other closures and policies announce along the Strip.
Fleur, Aurole and Mizuya will temporarily close Monday at the Mandalay Bay, according to MGM Resorts International.
The closures will follow MGM’s decision to close buffets at seven Las Vegas Strip properties this weekend due to coronavirus concerns.
Operations have been temporarily suspended at both XS Nightclub and Encore Beach Club. All shows are canceled at the venues until further notice.
Buffets at ARIA, Bellagio, MGM Grand, Mandalay Bay, The Mirage, Luxor and Excalibur will temporarily close on Sunday.
"These changes are temporary and will be evaluated on a weekly basis," the company said in a statement to the USA TODAY Network.
Properties of Caesars Entertainment – the largest MGM competitor on the Strip – will keep buffets open.
"We are incorporating cleaning and hygiene protocols into the buffets as well as the rest of our operations across the company," the company said in a statement.
One of the Nevada COVID-19 cases centers on New York woman in her 40s who attended a large conference on the Las Vegas Strip.
The hospitalized patient attended the Women in Power Summit from March 5-8 at the Mirage. She had been exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 during her travels to Las Vegas, according to the Southern Nevada Health District.
The health district said it is working with the Mirage and organizers of the summit to inform attendees and identify people who came in close contact with the individual.
There were more than 1,000 registered attendees. Officials are investigating if the woman visited any other properties on the strip.
“We want to know every single detail about where she had been during those days,” said Fermin Leguen, district health officer for the Southern Nevada Health District.